Other lawyer requesting all communication through post office mail. Is this common practice?

I had established communication with the other parties lawyer through email. I requested some basic information to file my response to their motion. I pointed out something dis-honest about their case and then the lawyer responded by saying that any further communication would need to mailed via post office. I sent a reply back through email saying that communication through email by post office would take too long. I asked the lawyer if she would agree to a continence if I filed, since there was only 2 weeks left till the court date. She did not respond to me and I was unable to request a continuance. Is this common practice to require communication through post office mail? (There was a few other reasons I needed the continuance).

Minneapolis, MN -

Landon J Ascheman

Landon J Ascheman

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saint Paul, MN

According to Court Rules, USPS is an accepted method of communication. It is not uncommon for an attorney to request all communication be done via US mail. This can be more common when the attorney is dealing with someone who is not represented.

Maury Devereau Beaulier

Maury Devereau Beaulier

Criminal Defense Attorney - Minneapolis, MN

It is not uncommon to request communication through the mail. That is particularly true when the case is highly contested and one party is unrepresented. Often the concern is that the unrepresented party will deluge the attorney with emails and requests , including matters that are not relevant to the issues in dispute, thereby running up legal fees. A request for communication by mail often seeks to avoid that.

Tricia Dwyer

Tricia Dwyer

Family Law Attorney - Minneapolis, MN

Hello. Further details would need to be know in order to assist you with your personal legal issues. Generally, though, in legal practice, there are certain particular circumstances in which an attorney would want the communications with the opposing party to take place via U. S. Mail versus email.

ATTORNEY - CLIENT COMMUNICATIONS LAW, CIVIL LAW, FAMILY LAW
Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Gaming Law Attorney

Yes, US Postal Service is an acceptable form of communication for legal inquiries. If you feel that takes too long, you may wish to try a courier service like a FedEx or UPS, or overnighting via USPS. However since you are dealing with counsel on the other side, you should certainly be letting a lawyer handle this for you. It's already cost you a continuance -- you shouldn't let it cost you something more important in the case.