Osha employee rights

Asked 4 months ago - Seattle, WA

If you worked for a medical facility and a patient was combative and had fecal matter, urine, or blood on body, or room had on floor or walls. as an employee can you insist you have disposable coveralls covering your whole attire (pants and shirt) plus booties instead of just a gown? can you be fired or disciplined for refusing to deal with until supplied?

1. Randy Jay Harvey

Pro

Answered . OSHA will evaluate the situation based on the industry standards. As a medical care provider dealing with body fluids is a common issue. If your employer is providing the industry standard in personal protection you likely will not be satisfied by OSHA's response. If you refuse to do the assigned work and OSHA finds no violation, you could be discharged for insubordination. That would create a potential problem for you with unemployment benefits.
    You can be disciplined for refusal to follow an employer's lawful directives. If you believe that there is an imminent health or safety risk, you may be able to refuse to comply, but you still may be fired in an at-will employment state.
    File the complaint with OSHA and let them investigate, before you decide to put your job at risk. You may want to consult with a labor attorney in Washington for further assistance.
    All the best!