Oregon-any ideas what kind of 'unclaimed property' would show up on Oregon unclaimed 20+ years after death?

Portland, OR |
Filed under: Probate

My gma and gpa passed away in 1986 and 1993. in 2012 Oregon unclaimed listed something (over 100.00)- in both their names saying 'proceeds to beneficiaries'- that's me, i just havent a clue and why take over 20 years to show up? anyone heard this before?. a few years ago i claimed about 1300.00 from a 'met life' for my gma.

when i claimed the met life- there was no will etc.

The state feels no obligation to seek out the owners of funds they hold. They get the interest on money they hold. They don't even bother to match owners to drivers licenses. You will need to file for probate to claim the money. Give me a call, or email: dlgesq@AOL.com. Diane

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

I agree with Ms. Gruber, there really isn't much of a motivation for them to have sought you out. It's frustrating, but at least you now know about this and can get at it. I don't do probate law, but I'd be happy to make recommendations for you and, of course, you can always call Ms. Gruber as well.

I'm not sure that I agree with Ms. Gruber. You can run a search under your name for property held by the state, then follow the directions on the website to have them release the funds to you. If you do not claim it after a certain period of time, Oregon releases the money into the General Education Fund (I believe that's it, we just had a probate for a client with no heirs, no will, and the State took over. That's what they told us I think it was.) I personally had royalties from work on something from years ago that was Disney - $500+. I didn't claim it in time and the next time I looked it wasn't there. I assume they released it. Now I have one

THIS IS NOT A CONFIDENTIAL FORUM. PLEASE DO NOT PROVIDE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION BECAUSE THERE IS NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE PROTECTION. My statement is only a matter of my opinion and does not go to the merits of your case. Seek advice from an attorney in your local area if you have confidential or case specific questions or concerns. No Attorney-Client relationship is established between myself and any other party by communication through Avvo.com until both parties have signed a Retainer Agreement and any necessary fees have been paid to my firm. I am licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District Court for the State of Oregon. If you are in Oregon I am happy to help you if I am able or otherwise will find you someone who can.

Erin Levine

Erin Levine

(Cut off, insert at the d) *Now I have one that is <$100 and one that is <$50. I just have to submit the proper notarized paperwork to get it. You don't need a lawyer for this, although we would all love* (now read the rest above)

lol, thanx for the clarification- i was rereading that last bit for quite a while til i jus saw the comment from u beneath it! thanks so much for the info. i wondered what type of property has a description 'proceeds to beneficiaries?' i hear life insurance/ annuities/ trust... I don't fully understand the particulars for any of those. So i'm wondering how much over 100.00 means also! thanks for your time, Erin.

Erin Levine

Erin Levine

I'd say don't worry so much about what it is. Just get it and then figure it out. :)

Wills and estates topics