Oregon-any ideas what kind of 'unclaimed property' would show up on Oregon unclaimed 20+ years after death?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

My gma and gpa passed away in 1986 and 1993. in 2012 Oregon unclaimed listed something (over 100.00)- in both their names saying 'proceeds to beneficiaries'- that's me, i just havent a clue and why take over 20 years to show up? anyone heard this before?. a few years ago i claimed about 1300.00 from a 'met life' for my gma.

when i claimed the met life- there was no will etc.

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

1

Answered . The state feels no obligation to seek out the owners of funds they hold. They get the interest on money they hold. They don't even bother to match owners to drivers licenses. You will need to file for probate to claim the money. Give me a call, or email: dlgesq@AOL.com. Diane

2. Erin Cecil-Levine

1

Answered . I'm not sure that I agree with Ms. Gruber. You can run a search under your name for property held by the state, then follow the directions on the website to have them release the funds to you. If you do not claim it after a certain period of time, Oregon releases the money into the General Education Fund (I believe that's it, we just had a probate for a client with no heirs, no will, and the State took over. That's what they told us I think it was.) I personally had royalties from work on something from years ago that was Disney - $500+. I didn't claim it in time and the next time I looked it wasn't there. I assume they released it. Now I have one d all love to have you as a client (probably) but in reality, come see us for something else. :)

3. Joshua Pond

Answered . I agree with Ms. Gruber, there really isn't much of a motivation for them to have sought you out. It's frustrating, but at least you now know about this and can get at it. I don't do probate law, but I'd be happy to make recommendations for you and, of course, you can always call Ms. Gruber as well.