Ordered counterfeit items, and they were seized. Can I cross the border without worrying?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hi there,
I had ordered counterfeit items under differen't names. None of the names on the packages were mine. Actually one of the packages had my moms name and address on it. The other had a P.O. Box with a company name on it. That PO box is registered under my name. So they would have to investigate to find out its under my name.

I live in canada, the items were coming from china into LA and into my city. They were seized in LA.
The items were seized, i got a call from dhl, and they said I would receive a letter why they were seized. Never received the letter, this is 2 months ago!

Now I amtryingg to cross the border with my family for a day. Willthe border security ask us to pull over and search us? They wont find anything, but will they deny entry into US?

1. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

Answered . Unlikely this would bar entry. More likely they will either arrest you at the border or, far more likely, not connect you to the prior situation and allow you to pass without incident. Frankly, I hope they arrest you. Willful criminal copyright infringement is a significant problem and is a felony here in the US if the value exceed $1000 during any 180-day period http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/506#a....

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

2

Answered . Really? You admit to criminal conduct to a group of lawyers and then ask our help to assess your risk of getting caught? Wow. That's plain stupid. NO attorney -- or anyone else -- is allowed to help you.

In fact, the concealment of a felony, by anyone, is a crime called misprision: "Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both." 18 U.S.C. section 4.

3. Michael Charles Doland

1

Answered . Your facts do not give any indication that you will be stopped at the border. Somehow I suspect there are additional facts, especially given the care you have taken to protect your identity.