Skip to main content

Order to show cause and Contempt of Court

New York, NY |

I am representing myself in a family offense matter. I want to file an order to show cause on my spouse and also a contempt of court as my spouse has violated an existing order many times. How many days will it take for the Judge to sign the papers so I can have it served to my spouse? How many days would it take the Judge to pass the judgement on such relief.


Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can have a local family lawyer investigate the situation. Avvo has an excellent "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated attorney near you who offers a free consultation.

    Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at

  2. Every judge is different. There will likely be a hearing on your motion.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. Most NYC courts sign such orders within 3-5 business days. Your initial court date will likely be 2-4 weeks from there. That said, your spouse is entitled to a trial on the issue, and initial trial dates may be 2-4 months from the initial date. Schedule a consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

    * If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics