Order to show cause and Contempt of Court

New York, NY |

I am representing myself in a family offense matter. I want to file an order to show cause on my spouse and also a contempt of court as my spouse has violated an existing order many times. How many days will it take for the Judge to sign the papers so I can have it served to my spouse? How many days would it take the Judge to pass the judgement on such relief.

TIA.

1. You can have a local family lawyer investigate the situation. Avvo has an excellent "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated attorney near you who offers a free consultation.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at www.knowthelawyer.com.

2. Every judge is different. There will likely be a hearing on your motion.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Most NYC courts sign such orders within 3-5 business days. Your initial court date will likely be 2-4 weeks from there. That said, your spouse is entitled to a trial on the issue, and initial trial dates may be 2-4 months from the initial date. Schedule a consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.