Order to show cause and Contempt of Court

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

I am representing myself in a family offense matter. I want to file an order to show cause on my spouse and also a contempt of court as my spouse has violated an existing order many times. How many days will it take for the Judge to sign the papers so I can have it served to my spouse? How many days would it take the Judge to pass the judgement on such relief.

TIA.

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

4

Answered . Most NYC courts sign such orders within 3-5 business days. Your initial court date will likely be 2-4 weeks from there. That said, your spouse is entitled to a trial on the issue, and initial trial dates may be 2-4 months from the initial date. Schedule a consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Every judge is different. There will likely be a hearing on your motion.

3. John Michael Phillips

1

Answered . You can have a local family lawyer investigate the situation. Avvo has an excellent "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated attorney near you who offers a free consultation.