Order of Protection

I have a friend who had an order of protection taken out against them (about a year ago) under false pretenses. But they were never allowed to show proof that the accusations against them were false. Now there is a warrant for my friend. They plan to turn themselves in. What can my friend do now? Is there a way for them to have a chance to prove that the Order was taken out under false pretenses? Is there any statute of limitations that may help my friend?

Brooklyn, NY -

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - New York, NY

Dear what can my friend do now?

Your friend can hire an attorney before he turns himself in and makes incriminating statements before he is in custody.

He may be arrested. If he knows they are coming, get the lawyer involved without any delay.

Stay safe.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Get an experienced criminal defense lawyer right away. If the order of protection was obtained and your friend did not go to court, did not receive a notice of a court appearance and was unaware of an order of protection, then that is all useful information for his criminal defense lawyer to fight the charges.