Skip to main content

Order of Protection

Brooklyn, NY |

I have a friend who had an order of protection taken out against them (about a year ago) under false pretenses. But they were never allowed to show proof that the accusations against them were false. Now there is a warrant for my friend. They plan to turn themselves in.
What can my friend do now? Is there a way for them to have a chance to prove that the Order was taken out under false pretenses? Is there any statute of limitations that may help my friend?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Dear what can my friend do now?

    Your friend can hire an attorney before he turns himself in and makes incriminating statements before he is in custody.

    He may be arrested. If he knows they are coming, get the lawyer involved without any delay.

    Stay safe.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

  2. Get an experienced criminal defense lawyer right away. If the order of protection was obtained and your friend did not go to court, did not receive a notice of a court appearance and was unaware of an order of protection, then that is all useful information for his criminal defense lawyer to fight the charges.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or