Options for spouse-child domestic assault charge

Glencoe, MN |

Our teenage son has pushed boundaries and rejected consequences for behavior (e.g., additional chores, grounding). He pushed a conflict with my wife until there was a physical altercation. She was arrested and charged with 5th degree misdemeanor domestic assault and 5th degree assault. A no contact order was issued, then repealed (per son's request). Both are home now. He wanted a break to cool down, not charges, but an officer who was nearby heard his shouting and came to investigate. That's when the arrest was made. He and I have contacted the prosecutor's office because he wants charges reduced or dropped. She has a public defender and no prior criminal history. A conviction will derail her career (in a degree program that leads to licensure). Options?

This situation has a potential of marring your spouse's licensed career permanently, thus, the case has to be disposed of very delicately.
It is a good thing that your spouse has a Public Defender, however, to be truly certain of all possible options, I suggest to meet with a local private defense counsel in confidence to discuss the case's details further.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

Since she currently is represented by a public defender, that is the person who would be best suited to answer your question. There are many options as to how to handle the case, some which would result in the case ultimately being dismissed. Your wife can choose to hire a private attorney at anytime, at which point a more detailed analysis can be conducted. Also, a lot may also depend on what the officer actually heard.

As for now, I would advise not to post any specific facts of the case online. These forums are not protected, and could possibly be used in court.

I hope you find this information helpful. I wish you, and your family, the best of luck.

Andrew Leone
612-356-2529
leonelegal@gmail.com

Andrew Leone
612-356-2529
leonelegal@gmail.com

There are few options. The prosecutor can elect to dismiss the charges if your son refuses to cooperate and asks that he/she do so. But, there is no guarantee that he/she will drop the charges - they don't have to. A police officer became involved, and he undoubted made a report/observations/took statements, etc. Your son probably said some very damaging things to the cop in the heat of the moment. But, unless they are totally untrue and can be proven so, those statements will be very damaging. Now, honestly, this probably isn't a "go to jail" situation, but it will certainly impact her career. So, you need to hire an attorney and work hard to get it dismissed or reduced to something like disorderly conduct.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.