Options for recovering losses cause by ininsured driver and driving with suspended license

Asked over 1 year ago - Fremont, CA

In an accident with non-fault. Other driver is uninsured and driving with suspended license. I was surprised cops did not even put him in jail and allowed his friend to drive his car out of the scene. Now, my car has been repaired but paid $1k deductible(I don't have uninsured prop damage coverage). I have other property in the car like out of market bluetooth radio. etc which got damage during collision.
What are my options for recovering losses like above? Can I hire an atty to represent me and sue other party? Please help advise me.

1. John David Laurie

Pro

4

Answered . You should call your insurance company and ask them if they are going to subrogate against the at fault party. If so they should include your claim in with theirs. Be careful what you do as you do not want to interfere with your insurance companies right of subrogation. Start with your insurance company.

2. Christopher Michael Davis

5

Answered . You may have a claim for UM benefits under your own policy. If you make a UM claim, your own carrier has the right to use all defenses that the other driver may have had against you. Many people make the mistake that they will be treated better by their own insurance company. This simply is not true. Your carrier will be allowed to assert all defenses available to the at-fault driver, and the carrier almost always does. A UM claim therefore essentially creates an adversarial relationship between you and your own insurance carrier.

If you wish to pursue a UIM/UM claim, contact a local personal injury attorney for a consultation. If you did not have this coverage, you may be able to pursue a claim against the at fault driver. Unfortunately, if they were driving without insurance and a suspended license, it may be difficult to recover much from them.

3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

2

Answered . Did you get injured in the car accident> If so, maybe your UM/UIM may be called into play. Call a local PI lawyer. Best of luck.

Pro

3

Answered . Have a local personal injury lawyer investigate UM claim