Options for Petit larceny charge

Asked over 1 year ago - New Rochelle, NY

I was recently arrested and charged with petit larceny under 100 dollars. I was wondering what are my options as far as making this charge as minimal as possible. I am a college student, my first offense and I am afraid of losing my scholarships and the possibility of not being able to find employment because of it going on my record.

1. Richard Francis Sweeney

6

Answered . As the other attorney suggested, do not talk to the prosecutor without an attorney. Because it is a first offense and Petit Larceny, you will likely be offered an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal ("ACD") which means you don't have to make an admission, and the case is adjourned for 6 months. If you are not re-arrested for any crime during those 6 months, the case is dismissed. That is the most likely outcome. However, you should understand that Petit Larceny is a class A misdemeanor and carries with it a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail. If you can not afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you at arraignment, if you qualify for one.

The answering of this question does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. John M. Cromwell

Pro

5

Answered . Show up in court with an experienced criminal defense lawyer who will know what to do to keep your record clean so your future educational and employment options are not impacted by this incident.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

5

Answered . An attorney can help to have this charge reduced to at worst a non-criminal violation or even potentially have it dismissed.
    Hire a good local attorney.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Edwin Drantivy

4

Answered . Given your youth and lack of prior criminal history, an attorney should be able to reduce your charge or eliminate it outright. I do not recommend attempting to plea bargain with the prosecutor without an attorney.

Call an attorney, whether this firm or another firm, if you are overly concerned and wish to speak to a professional about your upcoming court appearance.

5. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Given your age, the best option to protect your future is to hire a criminal defense lawyer.

6. Jason Lloyd Stern

3

Answered . An experienced Westchester Criminal Defense Lawyer will not only try to obtain a dismissal on your behalf but also be able to advise you on how to handle the civil recovery demand you may be receiving from the store's attorneys.