OPT to H1B while married to a US citizen

Good night, I am currently working under my opt and my company is willing to process my h1b, i am currently married to a us citizen but we live in different states due to work. Will being married to a U.S citizen jeopardize my chances of getting my h1b?

Phoenix, AZ -

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Immigration Attorney - Newark, CA

It is unlikely to "jeopardize;" however you will have to make some decisions regarding residency sooner than later.

Haroen Calehr

Haroen Calehr

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

No. H-1B is a "dual intent" visa, i.e. both immigrant and non-immigrant in a sense, meaning that although H-1B is only a non-immigrant visa, you can still harbor immigrant intent at the same time. But ultimately the best avenue may be your marriage to a US citizen "if" this is a bona fide marriage despite being a commmuter marriage.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.