OPT status Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I765.

Austin, TX |

Hi I am on F-1 Visa and graduated this December. I applied for OPT -EAD on October 5,2013. Since thn my status is Initial review. I asked for a expedite on Decmber 12, 2013. They replied to wait for backgrounds check. Now my status shows initial review with comment " your Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I765, APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION"

I never had EAD before. I am worried my job starts soon.
Can you suggest me what to do?

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure if I understand your concern, but perhaps my comment will help.

I recently did a marriage based adjustment of status case for a young man from Taiwan. He was here on F-1 and had OPT. He didn't think he had an alien registration number, but when I looked at his OPT card, sure enough the USCIS had assigned one to him.

When I received his I-485 receipt notice, I saw that the USCIS had issued a new alien registration number to him. My guess is that they have certain "fields" of A numbers they assign to OPT cases, and when the person applies for a greencard, they reassign a new number from a different field of numbers.

So, if you worry is that "I never had an alien registration number and now the USCIS is saying they changed my number", I would not worry about it. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that simply means they have assigned a number to you based on your application for OPT.

Further, when I file an I-485 for a person who actually "never" had an alien registration number before, the automated system says, "We've changed your number" which also lends support to the notion that it is normal (language for the USCIS to use) for them to say "we changed your number" even when assigning a number to a person for the very first time.

Best of luck.

Matthew Udall - Attorney

Does this means that my card ca arrive soon? - I have a job starting pretty soon and I need my EAD to start my job.

Does this means that my card can arrive soon? - I have a job starting pretty soon and I need my EAD to start my job.

Matthew David Jesse Udall

Matthew David Jesse Udall

My guess is yes, it means they are working on your application for OPT. To me, that is a good sign as far as receiving the card. But I won't venture a guess as to when it will arrive.

Talking to your DSO would be a good start.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

I did talk to my DSO : his reply : Honestly, I don’t know what they mean by that. If you applied on October 5th then January 5th would be 90 days. If there is no update by then we can work on getting the problem fixed

CIS has no obligation to expedite 765s bu they do have a regulatory obligation to issue the EAD in 90 days or temporary work authorization. This is why we try to get F-1 students to apply for OPT as early as possible. After the 90 days schedule an INFOPASS appointment at the local district office and if that does not work ask for a Congressional inquiry which is very easy and free.