OPT period expiring soon / H1B visa quota over

Asked over 1 year ago - Bloomington, IL

Hello. After long frustrating job search I have now received an offer . The employer is ready to file H1B for me. The H1B quota for 2013 and 2014 is over and has exceeded its limits. My OPT period ends in Sept 2013. My degree does not fall in STEM category.
Does any one know what are the possible options for me to continue working with this employer and stay in US. Also is it possible to appeal to DHS for inclusion of my degree in the STEM category?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

2

Best Answer

Answered . Have your prospective employer explore the possibility of filing a J-1 visa on your behalf, and if that were not possible, to consider an H-3 Training visa.

Appealing to DHS will be futile.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Options depend on facts. You really need to meet one on one with an experienced immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, so that he/she can review all your documents and facts in order to determine what your options are.

There is no appeal here.