OPT period expiring soon / H1B visa quota over

Asked over 1 year ago - Bloomington, IL

Hello. After long frustrating job search I have now received an offer . The employer is ready to file H1B for me. The H1B quota for 2013 and 2014 is over and has exceeded its limits. My OPT period ends in Sept 2013. My degree does not fall in STEM category.
Does any one know what are the possible options for me to continue working with this employer and stay in US. Also is it possible to appeal to DHS for inclusion of my degree in the STEM category?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Have your prospective employer explore the possibility of filing a J-1 visa on your behalf, and if that were not possible, to consider an H-3 Training visa.

    Appealing to DHS will be futile.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Options depend on facts. You really need to meet one on one with an experienced immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, so that he/she can review all your documents and facts in order to determine what your options are.

    There is no appeal here.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

H1B speciality occupation visa

If you have special skills and the right experience, you might be eligible for a H-1B visa if there is a shortage of qualified workers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,600 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,600 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering