Opt extension

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

My opt will run out in March. My employer is willing to apply for an h1B visa for me. I know I cannot apply until April. I have also read about the special rule that covers me under opt extension between the expiration of my opt and October if my H1B is approved.

My question is whether the special OPT extension rule applies to me given that my opt expires in March, before I can apply for an H1B visa in April. I know I have 60 days after the expiration of my OPT to leave the country but if, in April, I apply for an H1B visa for October in that 60 days and it is approved does my OPT extend to cover me between March and October (when my new H1B visa will start)?

Thanks

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . It does not apply to you. You will need to leave the US and return.

Please see

2. David H Nachman

1

Answered . You will be able to stay but not to work. However, there are may creative cap-gap solutions that our office has provided which are sensitive to the the type of employer, the type of work that you may be doing, etc. You can feel free to call us for a consultation.

3. Christian Schmidt

Answered . You must still be under OPT when the I-129 is filed to benefit from cap-gap provision. The 60 grace period does not count.