OPT expiring in Oct and do not have a job yet. Can I go to India and then apply for H4 at US Consulate in India?

Asked 3 months ago - Peabody, MA

Hello Sir/Madam,
I came to the US on H4, then I changed to F1 and it is stamped on my passport. Now, I do not have a full time job yet. I am planning on going to India in Nov, can I apply for H4 at US consulate in India once I am there. Or should I apply for H4 before my OPT expires and while I am already here in US.

1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

1

Answered . Assuming you are related to someone holding H-1B status, then it may be possible to apply for an H-4 visa.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . You get 60 days grace after OPT expires. By then you will leave, so apply for H-4 visa. If you apply for COS and then leave, it will be considered abandoned.

3. Adan G. Vega

1

Answered . If you already have plans to depart the U.S. to visit India, you may as well request the H-4 status at the U.S. consulate. There is no need to file the FORM I-539 in the U.S. to request the change of status from F-1 to H-4.