OPT expired in May 2013. Haven't left the US to go back to Canada and Nov 7 will be 180 days. Can I still get a H1-B later?

Asked 11 months ago - Hollywood, FL

Wondering if I am sponsored by a company for H1B on April 1st 2014 if I will be able to get it still? Again Nov. 7 will be the 6 month deadline after my OPT has expired. Havent left because my family has a house here and I don't have anywhere to stay in Canada.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . Not a great plan. You could have applied for a change of status to B-2.

However, you won't be precluded from obtaining H-1B status because of your overstay.

2. Brian Glenn Becker

3

1

Answered . If the H-1B petition is selected and approved, then you would need to return to Canada and reenter with the H-1B approval notice. As a Canadian national, you would also qualify for a TN. You should consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney.

3. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

2

Answered . Staying beyond your authorized was not a smart decision. Assuming you depart the U.S. before you accrue 180 days of unlawful presence will mean you are not subject to the three year bar. That being said, a visa may still be denied as a matter of discretion due to the overstay. You need to depart before November 7th.