OPT: My application reached USCIS on the 60th day of grace period post completion and I was still DENIED. What are my options?

Philadelphia, PA |

Due to some misinformation and confusion, I ended up applying on the last moment. I got denied by USCIS for late submission even though they had received my application on the 60th day. Do I have any chance of MTR? My DSO is saying that this is all my fault and I should re-enroll. I am a doctoral student just making corrections to my dissertation, I am defending my thesis next month. Should I leave the country?

1. Consult with an immigration attorney before making a big mistake.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.

2. Learn from your mistake and consult directly with a local immigration attorney.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

3. I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you have been having with your application. As you have now seen, the immigration process and laws can be difficult to navigate on your own. To avoid added difficulty, time and needless expense, please contact an immigration attorney, if even only for a consultation, before you proceed.

All comments and/or opinions are for general information, and should not be used as legal advice. In addition any comments and/or opinions do not create an attorney-client relationship. In order to obtain a comprehensive and accurate legal opinion you should consult an attorney with the specific and detailed facts or your case/question.