Skip to main content

Opponent refuse provide requested information before the trial and time to exchange set by court already expired. What to do?

Concord, CA |
Filed under: Discovery

Opponent refuse provide requested information before the trial (family law) and time to exchange set by court already expired. What to do? Do I need to inform judge before the trial or make a statement on the trial process?

Also If other party do not requesting any documents from you during exchange period (14 days before the trial) can I provide any documents by myself to other party after 14 days expiration. Can documents be exchange just through email, not regular mail ?

Attorney Answers 1


If the information you requested is important for you to have during trial, you need to take action immediately. Although the deadline for your opposition to have provided you the information/documentation may have passed, the deadline to make pre-trial discovery motions may not yet have expired. In addition, many courtrooms have their own special rules (often referred to by lawyers as "local-local" rules, and you should ask the clerk of the courtroom in which the case is pending if there are any of those). These deadlines are tricky so if you have been representing yourself during these proceedings, now may be the time for you to consult with an attorney specializing in family law. Good luck.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IT HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Mann is licensed to practice in the State of California. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this educational exchange. Moreover, the facts provided by you were not sufficient to allow Mr. Mann to advise you specifically regarding what you should or should not do. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Mann is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter, or to take any action whatsoever.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics