Online schools for Law Degree

Fort Pierce, FL |
Filed under: Education law

Does anyone in the legal community know of any good online schools for obtaining an accredited Law Degree ?

There are no online law school programs currently accredited to give the Juris Doctor (JD) degree which would allow a person to sit for state Bar Admission. You can find the ABA approved law school list at: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/aba_approved_law_schools.html.

2. I can't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I'd be quite wary of all of them. Check to see if any are affiliated with reputable universities. Go to a traditional law school that is ABA approved, if possible.

3. With all due respect to my colleagues there is one online law school that is online and allows you to sit for the State Bar in California. At least one of its graduates took the bar in Mass. The ABA does not currently give approval to online law schools for a variety of reasons but primarily the reasons are: lack of collegiality among law students; and, lack of a brick and mortar library. Concord Law School is owned by Kaplan, a prestigious professional license training company that owns the Washington Post. You can receive a Juris Doctorate from Concord Law School and sit for the bar in California. Thereafter you will have to practice law in California for no less than 3 years or more before you can apply to take the bar in another state that requires an ABA approved law school. Google Concord Law School for information. An online school is brutally difficult and the pass rate on the state bar is lower than for brick and mortar schools. You may be better advised to consider a part-time law school, night school or other form of part time. Concord Law School currently has graduates admitted to the Supreme Court Bar and Federal bars across the U.S. Many have even suffered the three years of work or more in California, before applying to take the bar in other states. Concord Law School has some very well known law professors; Art Miller, Civ Pro Harvard; Mary Chay, Con Law George Washington University. I would have difficulty recommending the online school to anyone whose life or schedule would allow a regular school. I will note that the last statistic I saw, nearly 40% of Concord Law School's 1L held a Masters or PhD before entering the school.
    Hope that helps. Go for the brick and mortar if you can. Best wishes.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Education law topics