Online Review - Libel?

Asked over 1 year ago - Roseville, MI

Hello,
a week ago I posted a negative online review of a vendor I used for my wedding. I rec'd several text messages from him stating that he would sue me for libel if I didn't remove them. I removed them and gave him some time to resolve the issues. We were unable to come to a resolution. When I post my new review am I allowed to include the fact that he sent me the previous text messages threatening legal action? I have copies of them and proof that they came from a phone number registered to his business. He also left a voice mail thanking me for the negative reviews - stating that they had actually gotten him more business. Am I legally allowed to mention the voice mail, which I still have on my phone? Thank you very much!

Pro

3

Answered . I wouldn't worry about this. An opinion is not defamatory, only a false statement of fact.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. John F. Brennan

1

Answered . Keep the evidence, and post your review stating it is solely your OPINION of his services. Be totally truthful and limit yourself to facts you can back up.
    Truth is da defense to any slander or libel claim, make sure it is on your side.

3. Ezra N. Goldman

1

Answered . Truth is a complete defense to libel. If what you say is true, he has no case.

4. Jonathan H Levy

1

Answered . Obviously this vendor has not heard of the First Amendment; however sometimes it makes sense to just to walk away; this individual appears to be mentally unbalanced. Just because someone is a business owner does not magically transform them into a rational being. So if you post anything uncomplimentary, he will likely retaliate.