Online retail business-startup question

Fort Worth, TX |

I will be opening an online retail store next year. An LLC will be formed. My question is, since I will be buying goods from wholesalers (no specific brands) is it ok for me to put a tag with my company name on it when I sell it?

You are strongly encouraged to hire a business attorney. First, it's always smart to hire an attorney to draft the contract. Second, it sounds as though you don't have a great understanding of the business relationships and agreements required to achieve your objective. I don't say that to discourage you. Rather, an attorney can direct you in a manner to achieve your business objectives. If nothing else, it's worth a consult.

The above statements are provided as general information and not intended as legal advice. Each matter has its own set of unique circumstances that cannot be adequately addressed without consultation. You are strongly advised to hire an attorney licensed to practice law in your state to represent you.

Thank you for assisting me, I have contacted your office for a consultation. I see a lot of websites that say they will help you form an LLC and for a second I actually thought that was a good idea but there is so much more to just forming the LLC. I definitely need to consult with an attorney so that I can have a clearer understanding of what I will be getting myself into. I will be talking to you soon and again thank you for taking the time to respond. Have a great day!

First, if you are starting a business, you should consult with and get an Attorney. LLC's are not always respected in some jurisdictions as valid, if you are dealing out of Texas and/or the USA.
Second, there is no way to answer that... if for example you are selling trademarked/patented goods such as little stuffed bears with a heart shaped label and you re-label you are acting illegally and will soon be shut down. If there are certain classes of regulated consumer goods and you do not comply with Federal regulations and origin requirements, you can not lawfully introduce your products into commerce in the USA and most of the rest of the world. If you are selling cuban cigars re-labelled as freedom fighter cigars, you will soon be dressed in an orange jump-suit and looking on AVVO for a federal crimes defense attorney. If you are serious about doing business, do it right and get an Attorney on board to organize it. Or, go to law school and do it yourself. Things are no longer so simple that one can learn as they go...

Edward J. Kazaleh, Esq. www.kazaleh.vpweb.com Office 713-659-1000 or EMAIL: ek@bizlaw.pro DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS IS GENERAL EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION ONLY AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS ACTUAL LEGAL ADVICE. FOR0 LEGAL REPRESENTATION OR A CONSULTATION, PLEASE CONTACT OUR FIRM DIRECTLY. WE CAN MEET NEAR YOU IF NEEDED AND YOU ARE LOCAL-- EVENINGS & WEEKENDS MEETINGS ARE OK!

Thank you for responding to my question. I know I am not an attorney but I do know that I would not relabel a trademark/patented good. I will definitely seek advise from an attorney as my intention is NOT to do anything illegal. I just want to start my own business and be great at what I do. Have a great day!

Business topics