One time attorney

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Are there attorneys that work on an as needed basis. For instance, I have a hearing coming up and will like to be represented just for that. I will like an attorney to do this but only for just this job. Are there attorneys that do such a thing?

1. Charles Scott Edwards Greenberg

2

Answered . The only thing that I would add to previous counsel's excellent answer is that some judges do not tend to like limited notices of appearance, and sometimes will file them as regular notices of appearance. Making sure that the lawyer you hire is knowledgeable of the courts in your area is especially important for a limited appearance.

2. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, if the retainer agreement provides for that and the attorney agrees. However, depending on the type of matter (for instance criminal matters), it may be difficult for the attorney to withdraw without the court's approval and so there may have to be some steps taken so that a motion to a consent to change of attorneys to you going it alone after the hearing can be made, or the attorney can make it clear to the forum or other parties that he's appearing for you on a one shot basis.

Some attorneys may be reluctant to go represent you on this basis, or get into the matter without doing some "due diligence" that their representations on your behalf do not violate ethical or court rules (i.e., aren't frivolous, or without basis or intended simply to delay, harass or annoy the Court or other parties).

But, yes, especially in these days of widespread economic hardship and distress in the practice of law as well as many other businesses, you should be able to find an attorney who is willing to do "limited scope representation" so long as the terms are defined and transparent to you and him/her, the other parties and the forum (which might, however, affect your negotiating position if other people know the attorney is not going to be involved beyond this one hearing).

3. Jonathan Neal Portner

Pro

2

Answered . I am sure there are attorneys who would contract to do one hearing. The Court would have to be informed the attorney is withdrawling his appearance after the hearing.