One of the steps broke in at my apartment causing me to fall down injure my eye and break. ive been out of work for two weeks

Asked about 2 years ago - Glenolden, PA

i got metal lodged in my eye and had to go to the E.R. overnight and continue to go to the eye dr i am in constant pain and i have to be excused from work until my eye gets better, then i have to depend on friends and family to help me with day to day functions until i have healed. can i ask the landlords insurance company for pain and suffering? how much is too much?

1. Sheadyn Reaves Rogers

9

Answered . Hire a good personal injury lawyer in your local area to handle the case for you. You need an attorney to analyze the liability issues and your damages and to fight for you to attempt to obtain a fair and reasonable settlement!

2. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

7

Answered . It's impossible to give you an exact dollar figure of estimated case value from a one paragraph description of your injury. You need to retain an attorney to see that you get any and all proper medical treatment, obtain all medical records and bills, and then and only then, make a demand for settlement in a way that would maximize your recovery. You also need an attorney to analyze liability as this is not as straightforward as you would think and you would need to show that the landlord either knew or should have known about the step and obtain evidence to support that claim. Retain an attorney immediately. Mr. Kofsky may be able to help you as he is licensed in PA (see his AVVO profile).

3. David Alan Wolf

6

Answered . Before asking for the landlord's insurance, see if you can get an attorney to take on the case. The case, like most, will have two basic issues: 1. Liability and 2. Fault

Liability refers to the negligence (if any) of the landlord. How long had the step been broken for? When was the step last seen or inspected by the landlord? How obvious was the broken step? What was your knowledge of the broken step before the incident? Were there other stairs that you could have used? Were the steps built and maintained to code? There are other questions that should be addressed as well, but the ones mentioned are common ones. With respect to damages, the questions will be: How much are the medical bills? What care will you need in the future? Will the injuries be permanent? What kind and amount of insurance does the landlord have? Again, contact some attorneys in your area to see if you can get representation on this matter.

4. Michael Scott Mednick

2

Best Answer

Answered . I caution you not to try to handle this on your own. Based on the information you provided you may have a case. But, it depends on many different issues. A consultation with a good premises liability/slip and fall lawyer is a must. Within 5 minutes you will know the prospects of winning your case. The issues in these cases are complex and you should not try to tackle them on your own. Feel free to call me to discuss further.

Pro

4

Answered . I'm sorry to hear about your eye. Please don't try to contact the insurance company directly, and don't make any statements. A personal injury lawyer should be retained to investigate this eye injury claim. To read more about eye injuries, you can visit my website.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
    1515 Market St #1510
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    215-510-6755
    http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Gladys E. Wiles

3

Answered . I am so sorry that you are going through this. You should retain a personal injury attorney to determine liability and damages issues. One such issue would be the location of the steps that broke; was that in a common area under the control of your landlord, or was it in your apartment. That's a liability issue that needs to be examined.

It's difficult to determine what the value of any case is without examining the medical records and determining liability.

Best of luck to you.

Gladys Wiles
    Snyder & Wiles, PC
    7731 Main Street
    Fogelsville, PA 18051
    610-391-9500

7. Steven Fisher Fairlie

Pro

2

Answered . You have a serious case and should meet with an attorney for an extensive, in-person consultation. There are a lot of issues to discuss, but after you do you will have a better feel for what to do. You will generally do much better with an attorney than without one.
    Steven F. Fairlie, Esq.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
    1501 Lower State Road, Suite 304
    North Wales, PA 19454
    voice: (215) 997-1000
    fax: (215) 997-1777
    steve@fairlielaw.net
    www.fairlielaw.net

Become a Fan of Fairlie & Lippy, P.C. on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter

8. Joel Jay Kofsky

1

Answered . You did not ask about medical bills and their payment. Please note an experienced attorney will look for insurance that may help with bills now as well as payment for pain and and suffering at the conclusion of the case. If you would like further information:

http://www.phillyinjurylawyer.com/

9. Jimmy C Chong

1

Answered . There are a lot of factors that need to be considered however base on the bare facts presented you need to contact an attorney. The sooner an attorney is able to establish all the facts the sooner your case can go forward. As for damages, it's impossible to determine without reviewing your medical records and having and possibly consulting with an expert. I wish you luck and please contact an attorney to protect your rights.