One of the marriage witnesses threatening that she doesn't wanna be the witness anymore?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I am sorry this is so silly but i have to know, I got married a couple of years ago and i brought my co worker with me as a witness, and now we don't get a long well so she is asking for a copy of my marriage certificate bc it has here name on it and she is threaten to call the court and say she doesn't wanna be the witness anymore .. I mean just crazy funny stuff..now what should i do ? is it ok to give her a copy ? what can she do ? i have a wonderful husband and we are happily married and all

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

7

Best Answer

Answered . In Colorado, you do not even need to have witnesses sign the marriage certificate. It is totally optional. I have been doing wedding ceremonies for 17 years as a judge and retired judge. She has no right to a copy of the marriage license and she can not remove herself as a witness. I would suggest that she schedule an appointment with a psychologist. She needs some serious help. She can not undo your marriage. CO is also a common law marriage state and you two have held yourselves out as husband and wife since the marriage, so you ARE husband and wife. Additionally, the two of you signing the certificate is all that matters. CO is a self-acknowledgement state and does not need to have the judge/minister/officiant or witnesses to sign. So, tell her to stop bothering you and get a life.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

5

1

Answered . If you were married in Colorado then witnesses are not a legal requirement to a valid marriage. Colorado does not even require an officiant and Colorado law allows the parties (groom and bride) to sign their own marriage license if they so desire. Since your co-worker was not necessary when you got married, her silly demand to be removed as a witness would not affect your marriage even if it were possible (it is not). Enjoy your husband and ignore your petty coworker.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

5

1

Answered . Do nothing. Ignore her demands for a copy of the license. She cannot un-witness you. You are fine.

4. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . This is not a general question. You are asking for a consultation. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Hire an immigration attorney for that.