Skip to main content

One of the marriage witnesses threatening that she doesn't wanna be the witness anymore?

Denver, CO |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

I am sorry this is so silly but i have to know, I got married a couple of years ago and i brought my co worker with me as a witness, and now we don't get a long well so she is asking for a copy of my marriage certificate bc it has here name on it and she is threaten to call the court and say she doesn't wanna be the witness anymore .. I mean just crazy funny what should i do ? is it ok to give her a copy ? what can she do ? i have a wonderful husband and we are happily married and all

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    In Colorado, you do not even need to have witnesses sign the marriage certificate. It is totally optional. I have been doing wedding ceremonies for 17 years as a judge and retired judge. She has no right to a copy of the marriage license and she can not remove herself as a witness. I would suggest that she schedule an appointment with a psychologist. She needs some serious help. She can not undo your marriage. CO is also a common law marriage state and you two have held yourselves out as husband and wife since the marriage, so you ARE husband and wife. Additionally, the two of you signing the certificate is all that matters. CO is a self-acknowledgement state and does not need to have the judge/minister/officiant or witnesses to sign. So, tell her to stop bothering you and get a life.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

  2. Do nothing. Ignore her demands for a copy of the license. She cannot un-witness you. You are fine.

  3. If you were married in Colorado then witnesses are not a legal requirement to a valid marriage. Colorado does not even require an officiant and Colorado law allows the parties (groom and bride) to sign their own marriage license if they so desire. Since your co-worker was not necessary when you got married, her silly demand to be removed as a witness would not affect your marriage even if it were possible (it is not). Enjoy your husband and ignore your petty coworker.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

  4. This is not a general question. You are asking for a consultation. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Hire an immigration attorney for that.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics