One of the companies forged my signature but i did not loose anything from it. can i still sue them for doing so ?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I was working for a company and the client asked for some document to be signed which was sent to an email address my employer opened on my name and I do not have access to that email address at all and only they do so they opened it and signed it on my behalf. there was no financial or identity damage to me but can i still sue them ? if yes what will the judgement be most likely ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Absent damage to you, it makes no sense to sue. You could bring a lawsuit enjoining such conduct in the future, but without damages to go with it you have no money to pay attorney fees or compensate you for your time and effort.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
  2. Carl H Starrett II

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Pederson. if you have not suffered any financial harm, I would not see the point in suing. I would seriously reconsider whether or not this is the type of company that you want to work for though. After all, what else might they be wiling to do in your name?

    First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy.... more
  3. James M. Osak

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Is this STANDARD PRACTICE for this company to SIGN for their employees?
    If they only signed a company document ON YOUR BEHALF (as their employee
    or representative) then they may be legit in their actions. I don't particularly
    agree with that practice but it's their company. You have NO damages to sue.
    You could send them a CERTIFIED LETTER with your concerns and see what
    they say in response. If you don't like the answer then consider reporting them
    to your state's licensing agency OR then file a lawsuit on them. Good luck!


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,903 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,903 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering