One more question regarding I-130 question no. 16; "Has your relative ever been under immigration proceedings?"

Asked over 1 year ago - Katy, TX

I am filing I-130 form for my mother who lost her refugee status (immigration from Russia) back in 2001. My mother missed her deadline which expired in February of 2001.We had an elderly relative in a poor condition that time, and she couldn’t leave that person on her own. While she stayed in Russia, I immigrated to the US with my husband in 2001. My mother has visited me in the US several times since then. Now I am trying to reunite with her by applying for a green card. How do I approach this question 16? Do I need to provide any additional details along with I-30 application? Can it negatively influence my application?
Many thanks in advance,
Elena

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

9

Answered . The answer depends on what lost refugee status means; Consult with an immigration attorney; Will be your best bet

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

6

Answered . Prior counsel is correct. Proceedings mean having to go to immigration court. With that said, if she has ever had an alien registration number, you may want to call 1-800-898-7180 and confirm that she didn't miss a court hearing.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . "Proceedings" means Immigration Court (also known as the Executive Office for Immigration Review.)

If those terms don't sound familiar, then she probably had NOT been in proceedings before.

4. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . the answer is no, since she has never been in deportation, exclusion or removal proceedings.

5. Gen Kimura

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Your also need to explain her past immigration history in a sheet of paper and submit it to USCIS with the rest of the supporting documents/application forms.

6. Douglas A. A'Hern

1

Answered . To answer, it may take a little while longer to determine, but you can file a G639 Freedom of Information Act request to get a copy of her entire file with a form G 639. See the link

I suggest, as my colleagues have, that if you have previous applications - seek an attorney before filing anything else.