Once your ticket goes to collections can u git it out of collections so u dont have to pay the outrageous interest

Asked almost 5 years ago - Inglewood, CA

i have 2 seat belt ticket both missed court dates and both were $95 and they went to collections and bumped up to 850 a piece. here is the problem i wanna pay it off but 1600 dollars is a lot of money i was wondering if i can git it back in court and fight it or do i have to pay the 1600 in full

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If it went to collections that meant you didn't take care of it in a timely manner. You don't say but I imagine there are penalties as well as interest. I don't think a judge is going to want to help you with this. Go to collections yourself and ask the basis for the increase and if it appears justified work out a payment plan with them.

  2. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You may be able to negotiate a compromise with the collection agency to stop the interest clock, but the court won't compromise on their bail amounts or let you argue your tickets at this point.

    Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Antonio Arturo Cota

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You should contact the collections agency or department. It is not very likely that you'll be able to settle for a lesser amount at this point, although if you're going to try, you had better have a significant portion of the funds payable immediately. They are not going to both settle, and agree to payments, if they even agree to settle at all. (It is not very likely that you are going to be able to get any reduction.)

    You don't describe the circumstances that lead to missing two court dates, but most judges will probably assume that you just blew it off, ignored it, or were otherwise irresponsible and without strong evidence otherwise, I seriously doubt you can fight this. No judge is going to have sympathy for someone who only deals with the problem when collections starts pressing them for money.

    Your best bet is probably to work out a payment plan and then make sure you stay on top of it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,456 answers this week

2,933 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,456 answers this week

2,933 attorneys answering