Once I get H1b I-797 approval , can I apply for H1B transfer immediately after receiving H1B I-797 approval?

Asked 11 months ago - Edison, NJ

Do I need to wait till I get my H1B stamped or can I apply for H1B transfer as soon as I receive my H1B I-797 approval? Ie can I transfer my H1B before October ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Akanksha Kalra

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If you are in the U.S. with an approved H-1B and if you have an I-797 Approval Notice with an I-94, and have a job offer from another employer who will be filing a "change of employer" H-1B petition on your behalf, you do not need a visa stamp in your passport. Please consult an immigration attorney to discuss this further,

    Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This... more
  2. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The new company will have to apply for an H-1B first. After it is approved you may transfer. Regarding whether this can be done before October is a question to address with one of the immigration lawyers handling the two H-1B petitions.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,536 answers this week

3,406 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,536 answers this week

3,406 attorneys answering