Once da takes the case in ca how long before that person will be arrested? 24-48 hours. or a trial 1st whats the procedure

Asked about 1 year ago - Bakersfield, CA

x employee termed for stealing monies been doing it 4 years, have police report, investigator report police detective report, ins report. da excepts case what happens now, person gets arrested or just goes to a court date?

1. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

5

Answered . It totally depends on when the DA makes its decision what to charge. Once charges are filed, a warrant will issue, then you will be arrested, if arrangements can't be made for your orderly surrender. Best to get a lawyer. Maybe an agreement can be worked out for a surrender.

2. David Matthew Piper

4

Answered . It depends. Sometimes they come.get the person. Sometimes they send a letter telling the person to come to court. It is entirely up to the DA.

Hire a local attorney to help you out with this. He/she may be able to help facilitate a surrender or bail.

3. Greg Hagopian

Pro

4

Answered . It depends. The District Attorneys's Office can request an arrest warrant from a judge, or they can decide to cite the person by letter to appear in court. For a theft crime I would usually exist the later, but not always. There is no time frame. As soon as an arrest warrant is granted the peson can be arrested. Could be within hours if law enforcement cares enough and can find the person quickly. Weeks if not.

4. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

5. Loren Nicholas Kleier

1

Answered . It depends. The DA could send the case back to police for more investigation. Here in Kern County, on misdemeanors it is very common for the DA to file the case and the Court then send you a letter telling you there is a bench warrant out for your arrest!

I suggest you hire a local attorney as soon as possible. Most of us give FREE consultations, so you have nothing to lose but your time!

Good Luck!

Law Office of Loren N. Kleier | 661.716-7777 | Loren@Kleierlaw.net
    These comments must not be considered legal advice. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.