Once an appeal is filed in the appellate court how long until i get a answer?

Asked about 1 year ago - Valencia, CA

The appeal has gone thru all stages except for oral briefs. i don't think it will have them. how long after that?

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

6

Answered . There are no oral briefs on an appeal although the lawyers are given a chance to make oral arguments if they think that will be fruitful. Once the case has been fully briefed and argued the COA has 90 days to reach a decision but often finds a way to lengthen the process.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

5

Answered . you can look at www.courtinfo.ca.gov for the case information, but the Court of Appeals can take whatever time it wants to render a decision.

3. Greg Thomas Hill

4

2

Answered . As both Mr. Kaman and Mr. Solis have stated, it is 90 days from the date the last brief was submitted, however, there are often delays. I have experienced delays of about six months, but that is pretty unusual.

4. Herb Fox

4

Answered . I too do not know what yo mean by "oral briefs". I assume that you mean an oral argument.
    Assuming that you are in the state court of appeal (not the federal courts), you have a right to an oral argument, although in criminal cases many times that right is voluntarily waived.
    Once the oral argument is held (or on the date it was scheduled), the appeal is considered "submitted" and you will usually received a written decision within 90 days. Sometimes it takes only 2 weeks; sometimes it takes the full 90 days,