Once an appeal is filed in the appellate court how long until i get a answer?

Valencia, CA |

The appeal has gone thru all stages except for oral briefs. i don't think it will have them. how long after that?

1. There are no oral briefs on an appeal although the lawyers are given a chance to make oral arguments if they think that will be fruitful. Once the case has been fully briefed and argued the COA has 90 days to reach a decision but often finds a way to lengthen the process.

2. you can look at www.courtinfo.ca.gov for the case information, but the Court of Appeals can take whatever time it wants to render a decision.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

3. As both Mr. Kaman and Mr. Solis have stated, it is 90 days from the date the last brief was submitted, however, there are often delays. I have experienced delays of about six months, but that is pretty unusual.

4. I too do not know what yo mean by "oral briefs". I assume that you mean an oral argument.
    Assuming that you are in the state court of appeal (not the federal courts), you have a right to an oral argument, although in criminal cases many times that right is voluntarily waived.
    Once the oral argument is held (or on the date it was scheduled), the appeal is considered "submitted" and you will usually received a written decision within 90 days. Sometimes it takes only 2 weeks; sometimes it takes the full 90 days,

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.