Once a probate is closed can someone reopen it but up i was told no by the attorney himself once it is closed it cannot be

Asked almost 5 years ago - Struthers, OH

i wanted to makes sure that once the probate was over and done with that my father would be able to rest in peace once and for all so i asked the attorney several time once the probate was finnal can anyone reopen it he said know well one month later after being closed there other two daughters want more what are my rights

1. Elizabeth Smith Schmitz

Answered . If a final and distributive account has been filed and all of the heirs were notified of the filing then once that account is approved by the court the heirs can no longer object.

It sounds like what might be happening here is that the final account was filed a month ago and the other daughters are objecting to the account. If that is the case then the court will set it for hearing and determine whether the estate was distributed accoridng to the law and the will, if any.

You should speak with the attorney that handled the estate.

2. David Hamlin Madden

Answered . In the states where I have some knowledge of this, a probate can be re-opened. This might occur because a new asset of the deceased becomes known and must be distributed. I don't know whether a probate can be re-opened because somebody was unhappy with their share -- I would imagine that they should have objected during the administration of the estate and had their claim adjudicated then.