On the probate docket it says ORDER CLOSING ESTATE ADMINISTRATIVELY FOR STATE REPORTING SYSTEMS PURPOSE. what does this mean?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I am a beneficiary to an estate in Florida . Just recently on the probate docket it is posted : ORDER CLOSING ESTATE ADMINISTRATIVELY FOR state reporting systems PURPOSE Does anyone have an idea of what this means ? I am assuming it is for some kind of state reporting system . . . ? The PR has not made any move for final accounting or to close and distribute the the estate . It has been 4 years since estate opened . I do not have money for a lawyer . Any kind of help would be sincerely appreciated .

1. James P. Frederick

8

Best Answer

Answered . Probate courts are charged with having estates administered as quickly and efficiently as possible. When estates are open indefinitely, it is bad for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the court needs to continue to expend resources monitoring the status. There are certain deadlines that are required in terms of ongoing administration. If fiduciaries fail to keep up with these, the court has two options: 1) they can take control of the estate, toss the fiduciary and make sure things are completed expeditiously, or 2) they can threaten to administratively close the file. If they administratively close the file and the estate has been fully administered, it is no big deal. If the estate is not fully administered and the file is closed, the fiduciary will need to re-open the estate, (paying additional fees and expenses to do so). In my state, many counties are increasing the fees necessary to re-open estates. Some counties are also starting to charge fiduciaries to administratively close the file, as a disincentive for people to allow this to happen.

Courts prefer not to administratively close files. Since the alternative requires additional resources, however, that they are often without the ability to provide, administrative closure offers a solution.

You can object to an administrative closure, but once it takes place, you would likely need to pay to re-open the estate. You may wish to do so, since it sounds like there is additional work that needs to be done, in your case. You can ask that the former PR be surcharged for failure to complete administration. You would need a lawyer to do this effectively, but the lawyer is paid from the estate. Not by you.

James Frederick

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

4

1

Answered . Mr. Frederick once again shows his knowledge of the practical side of things!

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

1

Answered . I concur with Attorney Frederick-you should mark his answer -"Best Answer".