On the disoclure form under creditor info (credit card) it asks to list creditor, balance, min payment, but then "payment for"

Asked about 1 year ago - Berwyn, IL

What does that mean?

Additional information

This is for a divorce...uncontested and I am referring to disclosure forms that both myself and my spouse have to fill out.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . "Payment for " asks why you have this debt. You can answer generally as "marital expense," "vacation," "computer," if you know. Since yours is an uncontested matter, just answer to the best of your recollection and you should be fine.

  2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It means what dd you incur the debt for. What purpose. If you have a lawyer discuss the disclosure form with her/him.

  3. Henry Repay

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It sounds like your question should be answered by a family law attorney. So, I have posted it under that practice area.

    That said, there is a possibility the two of you should consider a joint bankruptcy prior to moving forward with a divorce. The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to assess the situation and advise you. I recommend you assemble for legal consultation: (1) your income information for November 2012 through the present, including wages and unemployment during that period; (2) all your bills (copies neatly assembled, back pages included); (3) last four years’ tax returns; (4) a credit report (use www.annualcreditreport.com to obtain free report if not requested in last year); and (5) other information that may apply, such as copies of lawsuits. Call at your earliest convenience to afford the most opportunity in which to be advised about your best course. You are not required to use an attorney in your area.

    I do not recommend filing bankruptcy on your own. There are too many complex issues. I have seen several posts on this site for debtors who filed on their own and are seeking counsel concerning complications. Most of them will have a hard time finding an attorney to get involved to unwind the mess without the attorney charging several times what would originally have been paid.

    Finally, I would ask if you have taken all opportunities to try to save your marriage. Relief from debt may be one helpful step. Counseling and other efforts may be other avenues to help you restore what you once had together instead of relying on moving on making things better.

    The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to adequately advise you. The response provided is intended... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,749 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,749 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering