On Thanksgiving I am on the schedule at work for 4 hours and I am sent home after 30 minutes am I entitled to 4 hours pay?

San Jose, CA |

This actually happened and I was upset because I came home from a relatives home 2 hours away to go to work!

Your situation touches on the subject of "reporting time" pay. Here is what the relevant statutory provision says: "Each workday an employee is required to report for work and does report, but is not put to work or is furnished less than half said employee’s usual or scheduled day’s work, the employee shall be paid for half the usual or scheduled day’s work, but in no event for less than two (2) hours nor more than four (4) hours, at the employee’s regular rate of pay, which shall not be less than the minimum wage."

Assuming that your employment is covered by this provision, you would be entitled to two hours of pay for that day, i.e., half of what you were scheduled to earn.

Disclaimer: This reply does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, and constitutes only general guidance based on the limited information provided, and may not take into account additional relevant facts and circumstances pertaining to your specific situation.

You get 30 minutes of pay and 1.5 hours of reporting time pay.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

Recommended articles about Employment