Skip to main content

On Probation from an O.U.I. I plan to fly out of state. If I inform my Prob. officer can the probation be noticed at airport?

Northampton, MA |

My family and I have a vacation planned to fly out of state. I'm keeping my probation a secret from one of the people I'm traveling with. If I told the Prob. officer the plan and received permission, is it brought out at the airport? If I do not inform the Prob. officer, will it be noticed at airport? What if I do not have permission for Prob. officer? I can not have it shown during my trip! I plan on speaking with the lawyer from my case. My probation can not be noticed from someone that's going with me!!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You won't have any problem flying wishin US
    You will not be able to get into Canada

    Attorney Michael H. Erlich Eden, Rafferty, Tetreau & Erlich 238 Shrewsbury Street Worcester, MA 01604 Office: 508.791.9001 Cell. 508.769-7995 Fax: 508.795.1811

  2. I believe you need permission either of the probation department or
    a judge.

    Do not take short cuts!

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

  3. A probationer should never leave the state without permission from his/her probation officer. And you should get a travel permit. Sometimes these things will show up at the airport, at which time you will need to show the permit. Also, if for some reason you are stopped by police in another state, (such as for a traffic infraction) and they run your name, you will need to show them the permit or you may have trouble (such as being held until your probation officer can be located). Whether the person you are traveling with sees that you are on probation may take some work on your part, but they are more likely to find out if you do not have a permit.
    And my colleague is correct, you will not be allowed into Canada. If you are traveling to any other country, you should check with that country's consulate to make sure you won't have problems with their immigration people.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics