On probation for deffered felony, Can i get an apartment?

San Antonio, TX |
Filed under: Felony crime

I made a mistake in college two years ago and was place on probation for a deffered felony and have less than two year remaining. Is it possible for me to get an apartment in San Antonio?

It is up to the individual apartment management companies or owners. There is no law regarding this. You should consider renting from an individual or from a small complex with a small management company, or rent a house. It is likely that a larger management company will conduct a criminal background check, find you are on felony probation, and deny you housing.

Although I have answered the question to try to help you, you should consult with a lawyer in your area in person on the matter. In addition, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us.

As Ms. Henley notes there is no definite answer, but if as you say it was a mistake in college and not a violent felony offense some apartment managers might be willing to listen to the underlying offense and the reason it happened. Additionally because you are on deferred the apartment manager might see that the judge didn't believe you were a threat. Now, if it was an assaultive offense, or a theft or burglary charge, you're going to have trouble. Once you complete the deferred and wait out the waiting period, get your record sealed so you don't have to work about this anymore.

Good luck

Although my intent in answering this question is to aid you in the legal process, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship in any way. You should seek the advice and counsel of a qualified attorney in your community to evaluate your legal needs and to advise you. No Attorney-Client Relationship is created without the specific intent of both parties.