On probation for deffered felony, Can i get an apartment?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Antonio, TX

I made a mistake in college two years ago and was place on probation for a deffered felony and have less than two year remaining. Is it possible for me to get an apartment in San Antonio?

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . It is up to the individual apartment management companies or owners. There is no law regarding this. You should consider renting from an individual or from a small complex with a small management company, or rent a house. It is likely that a larger management company will conduct a criminal background check, find you are on felony probation, and deny you housing.

2. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . As Ms. Henley notes there is no definite answer, but if as you say it was a mistake in college and not a violent felony offense some apartment managers might be willing to listen to the underlying offense and the reason it happened. Additionally because you are on deferred the apartment manager might see that the judge didn't believe you were a threat. Now, if it was an assaultive offense, or a theft or burglary charge, you're going to have trouble. Once you complete the deferred and wait out the waiting period, get your record sealed so you don't have to work about this anymore.

Good luck