On OPT Cap gap extension, should my wife apply for F2 or H4 ?

Hello, My name is Siva. I am currently on my OPT Cap Gap extension until September 30st. My H1B got approved and it starts from Oct 01 13. My wife is India now. Last month her F2 visa got rejected and the VO asked her to reapply after I get my H1b approval. Can some one suggest me on what visa (F2 or H4) should we apply now. I appreciate if you could also give us the required documents list for this process you suggest. Thank you once again for the help! Regards, Siva.

Louisville, KY -

Find Out More

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

Your wife should follow the consulate's advice and apply for the H-4 visa as your dependent once you yourself are in H-1B status come October, and have proof of having already been paid by the employer (at least 3 pay stubs.)

Wife should take all the necessary documents to prove that you are genuinely employed in H-1B status by a legitimate employer and not a bogus "contractor" or "outsourcer" , since that is what US consulates in India are afraid of the most.

Make sure wife takes with her copy of entire H-1B petition submitted to USCIS, including the copy of the certified LCA, etc., as well as a copy of the employment contract (I would be careful with that one, though, and only produce if asked and if not harmful..)

It will also be a good idea to produce proof of the bona fixes of the marriage, especially if a recent one and no kids yet.. Of course, it would be best if you could accompany your wife to the visa interview..

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

H4. Otherwise she would need to file for a change of status after she gets here.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

F2

Danny Garmo

Danny Garmo

Immigration Attorney - Southfield, MI

Agree with colleague H4 visa since you have an H1B.

Alena Shautsova

Alena Shautsova

Immigration Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

She should wait a little and apply for H4. Otherwise she needs to apply for F2 and change status to H4.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

I agree with my colleagues.