Skip to main content

On November 9th I was told I was a legal heir of a wrongful death case In Los Angeles, when I asked for a case number NOTHING

Los Angeles, CA |

When I responded to the Law Firm asking for a case file number re: a wrongful death case which they told me I was part of, they have refused to return that information to me. All paper work was sent to my other sibling to sign and send back, no one has responded to me. Can I be taken off ? Deleted? Or what it feels like is the Law Firm has treated her special, only will deal or talk with her, and not me, and now I can't even find out if I am still on the wrongful death case, or the case file number. I need an attorney to make a call for me to the firm. Can someone help me with that

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    My recommendation is that you pay an attorney to review the information you do have and to write a letter to the firm. It should not cost you more than a few hundred dollars for those services.

    You should then know in a few to several days exactly where you stand and whether or not you need your own attorney to represent your interests and what those interests are, if any.

    One thing is for sure: The longer you wait the more likely any interest you have will be lost through your inaction. Good luck.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  2. Generally folks are not represented by law firms if they know nothing about the incident. Sounds like you are not on good terms with your sibling? Not even sure who brought the action but apparently you did not? Time to check the court rolls to see what is up and yes, maybe lawyer up too...

  3. I agree with the advice of Mr. Daymude. You may want to consult with a local attorney.

  4. Best bet is to retain your own lawyer to investigate. You may read general information about wrongful death claims on my website. What was the cause of death?

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  5. I hope you took Mr. Daymude up on his offer. It seems that perhaps you are dealing with a situation where you are not a party, simply an heir, which means that the person who has legal authority to administer your mom's estate is the one who has the attorney client relationship. If that is the case, you may well need to have an attorney monitor the proceedings and intervene if something is happening that adversely affects your interest in the outcome.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Professional ethics topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics