Skip to main content

On N-400 form part 6 Information about your residence and employment, it says to list addresses for the last 5 years.

Chicago, IL |

If i have 09/25/2012 on section 11 as the filing date, should i go exactly 5 years back and make the start date 09/25/2007, or can i start from an earlier date (i.e 05/10/2007) which would be the real start date of my job back then ?

Should i do the same thing for the residence, and post the actual lease date ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should state the actual start date of each position, making sure to go back at least five years from the time you file the application.


I agree with my colleague ... at-least 5 years ... you can list positions that started longer ago.

I also suggest that you talk to an attorney ... it is more complicated than just filling in a form.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You should go back at least five years.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer