On my immigration file has the wrong birth date of birth so how do i change it

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, WI

my permanent resident card have the incorrect date of birth and can you get deported for making a mistake on your immigration document

1. Gintare Grigaite

5

1

Answered . You must file Form I-90 to replace your LPR card, and include evidence to correct your date of birth. I highly recommend that you have an experienced immigration lawyer assist you with this.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . You cannot get deported if the mistake was innocent. You will have to prove this point. I am not convince for instance, that a "mistake" with a date of birth can be innocent in light of the fact that it only popped up now.

3. Ji Min Kim

Pro

2

Answered . I agree. File I-90 and provide evidence of correct DOB.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . How long ago did this mistake occur?

If it is recent and all your forms had the correct date .. my colleague is correct, an I-90 might work.

If it happened a long time ago and/or your forms had the wrong date ... meet with an attorney.

5. Ivan A Guerrero

1

Answered . Have an attorney file form I-90 on your behalf and review the evidence.
    Good Luck

6. Kara Lien Roberts

1

Answered . I see you are asking this a few times. My work is primarily with refugees providing free services, such as assisting with applying for residency) to folks just like you and here's what I think:

If your case was already approved and you have the incorrect date on your green card, you can still attempt to get it corrected and it is unlikely you will run into any problems. If you have not yet been approved, then it is highly likely that Immigration will send you a request for evidence about the incorrect date of birth. You could try calling customer service to ask them to correct it, but this may or may not work. What would actually be best is for you to get a little help from someone who assists refugees in a similar manner as myself. If you were initially resettled in Madison, contact the agency that resettled you to see if they know of service providers. Otherwise, try contacting the agencies listed here to see if they can help you: http://www.immigrationadvocates.org/nonprofit/l...

What you are dealing with is quite common and you have a perfectly reasonable explanation. It is very unlikely that any kind of fraud will be attributed to you, but you need an attorney's or BIA accredited rep's help with "fixing" this. Contact some agencies and get the help you need or, if you do not qualify for any free services, consult with and retain an immigration attorney with past experience assisting refugees. The other reason you want to get some assistance is because what if you have other issues that need to be addressed that you do not know about? You can get legal information on sites like this, but this is not legal advice and the only advice you can actually rely on is legal advice (advice that can result in an attorney losing his/her license if it is wrong advice) and the only way to get that is to retain an attorney, a free one or one you pay. Good luck!