On my credit report , i have a judgment but never got any letters sent to me , what should i do ?

I checked my credit report and it states I have a judgment against me filed about 4 years ago but i never got any letters sent to me or anything . What should i do ?

New York, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Check the file in the courthouse, especially the affidavit of service to see how the plaintiff claims you were served. If you have grounds, you can file an Order To Show Cause to vacate the default judgment and perhaps dismiss if the statute of limitations has expired.

Sponsored Listing
Michael Hal Schwartz

Michael Hal Schwartz

Bankruptcy Attorney - White Plains, NY

I would get a copy of the entire file from the Court clerk's office. You may be able to vacate (set aside) the judgment.

Diane L Gruber

Diane L Gruber

Bankruptcy Attorney - West Linn, OR

Go to the county courthouse where the judgment was entered and get ALL documents in the file, then take them to an attorney to be sure if everything as done correctly. Good luck.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.