On l1b visa for 2.5 years. Get l1b extension now and later my employer files for l1b to l1a conversion how long can i stay in US

Asked over 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

I've stayed for about 2.6 years on my L1B visa in US. My employer is applying for my l1b extension. If the extension gets approved and then 6 months my employer files for a L1B to L1A conversion what are the total number of years I can stay in the US- do the max number of years I can stay in US be a total of 7 years (including my l1b stay and upcoming l1a stay) or will the number of years get reset and i can stay for 7 more years (in addition to my existing l1b stay)?
Will the answer be different if a fresh L1A application is made rather than a conversion from L1B to L1A?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . You are allowed to be on L1B up to 5 years and 7 years on L1A

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Best Answer

Answered . Your question is unclear. If you are asking about the maximum amount of time allowed in each category, 5 years on L-1B, 7 years on L-1A. Time in L-1A counts against time in L-1B and vice versa.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . These types of questions need to be answered by your EMPLOYER'S immigration lawyer.

4. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

Answered . The total for L-1B is 5 years. The total for L-1A is 7. The time in L-1B or L-1A status counts towards the limit of 5 or 7 years.

216.861.4414
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brown-immigration.com

Robert Brown LLC
    1468 W.9th St., Suite 800
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113