On job application if my case is on nolle prosequi, should I say yes to convicted of a crime or no?

Germantown, MD |

Hi I was arrested with few charges like trespassing resist to arrest and disorderly conduct in MD in 2011 it is now that I have recieved a letter from the court saying that my case is nolle prosequi. So if the charges are dropped but the case has not been expunged yet , when I wanna fill out a job application and it asks if I have ever been convicted of a felony/crime excluding traffic laws and misdemeanors, do I say yes or no?

You were not convicted of these crimes, so no. You really should expunge your record if you are otherwise able to.

Okay, thanks so much for your time!

In most jurisdictions, nolle prosequi is a dismissal of the case at the request of the prosecutor, and therefore is not a conviction and the true answer would generally be no, you do not have a conviction. However, state law and practice does vary, and my answer could be wrong under the law of your state. To be certain you should ask the advice of a Maryland attorney.

Thanks for your detailed explaination, I appreciate it!

Say no.

This response is based on information provided. Many variables may exist that can only be addressed in an interview. This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

Okay thanks!

Warren E Tydings Jr

Warren E Tydings Jr

My pleasure. Good luck with the job. You may want to look into expunging your charges that were nolle pros. > -- * * *Ed Tydings* *Law Office of Warren E. Tydings, Jr., Esq.* *Criminal and Civil Litigation* * * *301-670-3020 **17 West Jefferson Street** * *240-334-4751 fax **Suite 1* *301-717-1006 cell** **Rockville, MD 20850** * *www.edtydingslaw.com* * ** ** * NOTHING IN THIS MESSAGE SHOULD BE CONSTRUCTED AS LEGAL ADVICE OR THE CREATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. This communication may contain LEGALLY PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION and is intended ONLY for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone at (301) 670-3020 or by reply e-mail and delete the original from your computer. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation

No

Legal disclaimer: Mr. Tabaku may be reached at (240) 750-4663 or fetabaku@tabakulaw.com. Mr. Tabaku is an attorney licensed in the state of Maryland. This answer is for general information only based upon the facts stated in the question and does not create an attorney client relationship between Mr. Tabaku or Tabaku Law Firm, LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.