Skip to main content

On f1 visa, want to sponsor for child and spouse.

Hicksville, NY |

Hi ,
I entered the USA on F1 visa in Aug 2013 , I would like to get my daughter and husband to the states . Could you please let me know if its possible. If yes then what forms should I sponsor . Detailed walk through would be much appreciated .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You do not need to sponsor them. They need to seek an F2 visa and show they have sufficient ties to their country to insure their prompt return. Very difficult undertaking.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Provisionally they may apply for an F-2 dependent status, provided, however, they meet all the requirements of the financial sustainability and the ties to the home country in this case.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Have them apply for F2 visa.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.


They should apply for F2's, with proof that you are their wife/parent, and proof of how they will support themselves without unauthorized employment for the duration of your studies.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Speak with an immigration lawyer about an F-2 visa. Good luck.

The Murray Law Firm
50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
T: (201)875-2600
Facebook: (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:



You should go to the official US Consulate's web site in your country where your spouse and child will apply for F-2 visa and read the instructions. You will have to complete Forms DS-160 for each person and pay visa fees. After that you will be able to schedule an interview for them. They should take all the required documents to the interview (look at the web site), plus copies of your Form I-20, copy of your F-1 visa stamp, as well as original marriage certificate and child's birth certificate. Good luck!

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer