On August 30th,2013 work comp issued my lawyer a settlement check of nearly 13kusd, it is now 9-12-2013 going on 9-13-2013. the

Kansas City, MO |

They* keep saying they haven't had it clear yet. how much longer can they tell me that??

1. depends on the bank, some hold big checks for 11 business days. Call your lawyer.

While we hope this information is helpful and informative, it should not be considered a substitute for legal advice. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. Please contact us for a free consultation on your injury claim - there is never a fee unless we collect money for you.

2. This is something you need to discuss with your atty. The check needs to clear but they should be able to tell you when.

3. If the check was ISSUED on 8-30-13, that is the day it was printed. That was Friday. It probably wasn't mailed until Tuesday, 9-3-13 (due to Labor Day). Your attorney couldn't have received it before Friday 9-6-13. If the mail came late, it would not be deposited until Monday, 9-9-13. Most commercial banks clear checks within 3 days.

The check MUST be deposited into a Trust account which means that the attorney has NO access to the money and earns NO interest on the money so he has NO motive to make you wait. BE PATIENT.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com http://www.CandianoLaw.com

4. My bank tells me to allow 7 days from deposit for insurance company checks to clear the bank upon which the check is written, which is often several states away. So we cannot disburse the funds for a week to be safe.

This answer is intended as general information and not as specific legal advice. If you want to have a free consultation with me, please contact me through AVVO.

Small business topics