On an F1 student visa , how much time do I have before I must leave the U . S . if I quit the program ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I am an international PhD student with an F1 visa but I am planning on leaving the PhD program ( i . e . not graduating ) , however I would like to find a job / sponsorship if possible so I want to know how much time I would have in order to search for a job

1. Haroen Calehr

Pro

6

Answered . If you successfully complete a course of study and program/degree you have a 60 day grace period. If you fall out of status, i.e. quit your program you do not enjoy any grace period.

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

6

Answered . Mr. Calehr is correct. You immediately fall out of status, but you are not an overstay unless your SEVIS record is revoked and you are notified. It is best to depart as soon as possible to avoid conceivable unlawful presence.

This may allow you to more easily seek an H1b through consular processing once the petition is filed and approved. It is unclear if you alluded to trying to seek a petitioning employer for an H1b and file in April. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

3

1

Answered . 60 days, but i sure hope taht the h1 process is already in the oven a cooking. don't quit the program till you have filed a change of status tot he H1 or the 60 day clock starts to run

4. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleague. If you do not finish the program you are out of status the day you quit. Being outof status creates difficulties for getting an employment based visa or green card. Discuss with an attorney before you drop out.

One or more answers have been taken down.