On an E-2 investor visa in the USA, I start or buy a business. Do I need to employ Americans, or can I operate as a sole trader?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

On an E-2 investor visa in the USA, I have to start or buy a business. Do I need to employ Americans, or can I operate as a sole trader as long as I am making a reasonable living?

1. Neil Ian Fleischer

2

Answered . It sounds like you are confusing the requirements for an EB-5 investor visa. You should hire an attorney to help you as the requirements are difficult
    An E does not need to employ Americans

2. Nisha V. Fontaine

2

Answered . Hello,

Thank you for posting your question.

You are correct that as an E-2 investor, you are required to either start your own business or purchase an existing business (i.e. invest in the U.S.). One of the main requirements of qualifying for an E-2 visa is satisfying the 'marginality' requirement - i.e. that the investment is more than a marginal one solely for earning a living. Therefore, you need to have employees - whether they are U.S. citizens, Lawful permanent residents, etc.

I hope the above addresses your question.

Should you have any other questions regarding E-2 visa requirements, please feel free to contact our office for a detailed consultation. Our consultation would include discussing the viability of prospective businesses that you may consider purchasing for E-2 investment purposes as well as addressing any questions/concerns you may have regarding the E-2 visa application process.

Good luck!

Thank you,
    Nisha V. Fontaine, Esq.
    Serotte Reich Wilson, LLP

Ph: 716-854-7525
    Email: NFontaine@srwlawyers.com
    Web: www.familytousa.com

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . You will need to show that the investment is not marginal. In other words, that it is not so small that it is only generating enough income for you. That generally means that you will need to grow the business to the point where you are hiring people.