On a sentence of 180 days would it affect my imigration status (green card holder) charges are petty theft w/priors petty theft?

Sherman Oaks, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

I am a female and I am 35 years old. All my priors are to petty theft nothing else.

The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. Legal advice cannot be provided through a forum such as this. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

When you have to renew your greencard a petty theft charge especially when you have priors will negatively affect your chances. You need to talk to an attorney and stay out of future trouble.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

Yes. Multiple petty thefts can subject you to deportation. Consult with an immigration attorney for more specific advice.

Recommended articles about Immigration