On a month to month lease, how much notice should a tenant be given for rent increase or notice to move out?

Fort Collins, CO |

I have been renting in the same house for 2 years, first year under a lease and now I am month to month. The landlord told me may 1st they are increasing rent from 1400 to 1600 (14%) starting June 1st. We have one week to sign a year contract with the new rate or move out June 1st. Do I have any laws in my favor?

No. You were given 30 days notice which is longer than necessary on a month to month lease.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

I agree with the answer above though in the lease there may be a provision that indicates if the terms are any different when the lease becomes month to month. It is likely that 30 day notice is all that is required

Landlord-tenant topics