On 11/1, I will officially be terminated as a government employee. Am I able to apply and be hired with other federal agencies?

Asked 9 months ago - Dallas, TX

Charge: unauthorized removal of personal belongings of a private citizen. While off duty, I took items from a pile of debris set out on the curb to be hauled off to a wasteland.

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

1

Answered . It is always difficult to handle job applications after being fired. And you can't lie. Assume any potential employer will find out what really happened. Your best bet is to be completely up-front and open about why you were terminated. While the termination seems unfair the way described it, most likely your employer has a different view.

Some people decide to take any job they can get, just to get something in their work history that follows a termination. Some people volunteer when they cannot find a new job.

Without knowing all the details, it is hard to suggest ways for you to handle this, and hard to discuss any of the opportunities you may have to appeal the termination through the Merit Systems Protection Board or complain to EEO. I urge you to consult with one or more experienced employment law attorneys with whom you can discuss the details of your situation. Remember this is a public web site and anything you post here can be seen by anybody.